Still Alive 01
|“I can't get over how small you are!”
This article is a stub. As such, it is not complete. You can help Portal wiki by expanding it.
This test chamber is the first bonus level of the game. It is based off a level from Portal: The Flash Version MapPack. The challenges of this level are unlocked when the test chamber is completed once.
- Unstationary Scaffold
- High Energy Pellet (launcher and catcher)
- Heavy Duty Super-Colliding Super Button (H.D.S.C.S.B)
- Door (test chamber)
- Proceed to the door on your left and pass through it.
- Use the Unstationary Scaffold to cross the room and stay on the button to open the door.
- Shoot a portal in the room after the door, and then go back to the test chamber's entrance using the Unstationary Scaffold again. Place the other portal anywhere in the entrance and pass through.
- Place the first portal in front of the vertical door, and fire the other where the High Energy Pellet is bouncing.
- When the pellet is on the vertical door side, place the place portal as the previous next to the button, and then go quickly through the first portal.
- Go to the button quickly and stay onto to keep the vertical door open. Wait for the pellet to reach the Catcher.
- Go to the Chamberlock.
- After walking through the entrance door, jump on the Unstationary Scaffold.
- Ride the scaffold to the other side of the Goo.
- Stand on the Button and place a portal into the second room trough the door, preferably on the floor.
- Instead of taking the Unstationary Scaffold back to the first door where you'll find a portalable surface, shoot a second portal onto the wall which is basically in the Goo. Because you will not die instantly in the Goo (you can swim in it for a bit), go inside the portal you have placed and you will be in the High Energy Pellet room.
This route is a common route in speedrunning of Portal: Still Alive, mostly the Glitchless category. It saves a bit of time that you will lose while going back to the door at the start where the portalable surface is located.
The level feel really eerie with the mesh of the lighting on the starting rooms' ceiling and the rusty walls bring some oldness to the level. While you are on the moving platform, observing your surroundings is a crutial part of feeling lonely in the level and in the other bonus maps. The other room feels cramped and claustrophobic and it makes the perfect combo of the clinic-based look of the original game and the loneliness it produces. Every elevator room or hallway is sometimes small or huge - it depends on the level.
Award requirements (challenge mode)