Like GLaDOS and the standard Sentry Turrets, the Oracle Turret is voiced by opera singer and voice actress Ellen McLain.
- 1 Encounters
- 2 Quotes explained
- 2.1 "Get mad!"; "Don't make lemonade!"
- 2.2 "Prometheus was punished by the gods for giving the gift of knowledge to man. He was cast into the bowels of the earth and pecked by birds"
- 2.3 "It wont be enough"
- 2.4 "The answer is beneath us"
- 2.5 "Her name is Caroline"; "Remember that!"
- 2.6 "That's all I can say"
- 3 Related achievements
- 4 See also
- 5 References
The player first encounters the Oracle Turret in Chapter 1 of Portal 2, where the Oracle Turret is stuck in a pneumatic transport tube. The Oracle Turret asks Chell to help it, and to take it with her; however the Oracle Turret is inaccessible and Wheatley advises Chell to move past and ignore it.
The second encounter with the Oracle Turret is on the Turret Redemption Line. The player can pick the turret up from the Turret Redemption Line, at which point it says "Thank you" and an achievement (No Hard Feelings) is unlocked for saving it. After being saved, the Oracle Turret will say several cryptic messages that were referencing parts of the game. If the player ignores it, the Oracle Turret will complete its journey along the Redemption Line and disappear, and will presumably be incinerated and destroyed. If the player continues carrying the turret, the fate is the same as other turrets due to one must pass a Material Emancipation Grill.
"Get mad!"; "Don't make lemonade!"
"Prometheus was punished by the gods for giving the gift of knowledge to man. He was cast into the bowels of the earth and pecked by birds"
GLaDOS told Wheatley that he was designed to be a moron, which triggered Wheatley to send Chell and GLaDOS into Old Aperture unintentionally. After GLaDOS and Chell went down on the fall, GLaDOS was pecked by a bird and the bird flew away. Note that the story is incorrect.
"It wont be enough"
This may be the relation that the paradox won't work on Wheatley, or the core transfer will not succeed.
"The answer is beneath us"
GLaDOS' true identity is hidden among Johnson's intercom messages, playing deep underneath Aperture. Alternatively, this may be referencing the Mobility Gels, found beneath Chell when the Oracle Turret is found, which are key to defeating Wheatley. (None of the Corrupted Cores would have been attached without the Conversion and Repulsion Gels, and the Fact Sphere would never have been usable as the finishing blow to cause the attempted core transfer without the Propulsion Gel.)
"Her name is Caroline"; "Remember that!"
Caroline, the assistant of Cave Johnson, is the person whose sentience resides in GLaDOS.
"That's all I can say"
The last quote played by the Oracle Turret until picked up again.
| No Hard Feelings|
Save a turret from redemption
- Valve On Portal 2: Spoiler Interview Part One, John Walker, rockpapershotgun.com, April 27, 2011. Accessed April 30, 2011.
- Wikpedia, Prometheus, Prometheus actually gave fire to humans, and was exiled to the top of a mountain and had his own liver ripped out by a bird every day. The general meaning of the quote stays the same though
- (Wikipedia) Crow T. Robot "I'm Different"